1. Excellent Teaching QualityThe breeding of talents is the most important mission of a university. The goal of the National Chung Cheng University is to incubate and breed professionals in various areas of expertise, skilled in problem solving for both technology and humanities. Freshmen of National Chung Cheng University are ranked among the top 15% to ~20% in the General Scholastic Ability Test. The aim of the school is to train students the right attitude in pursuing excellence, and also to encourage them to accomplish great things in life. While perceiving our students as “future highly talented persons,” we uphold the founding President Dr. Ching-Jiang Lin’s spirit of “beyond traditional teaching,” making improvement and innovation in teaching at all levels.
2. Multiple Humane CareUniversity as a place to cultivate talents need to cater to both professional knowledge and humanities, similar to the parallel tracks of a vehicle. As for students, campus life should not only include the attainment of professional knowledge and career skills, but should also have the motivation to enrich their life connotation, and pursue happiness. Moreover, they should have an open heart and an open mind to listen to multiple diverse opinions and knowledge fields. In other words, talented persons should not only be able to solve practical problems, but also lead humans to a new prospect of happy and harmonious life.
3. Academic InnovationResearch work in a university incorporates the study of truth and the innovation of knowledge. Academic talents with independent thinking and judgment capability who can pursue truth are both the main forces and important human resources in a university. National Chung Cheng University has always been famous for its atmosphere of freedom, and we will continue to maintain it with due respects to academics, professors, and students. CCU will keep on providing superior research environment and appropriate salaries to encourage our great talents to contribute their knowledge and pursue excellence. In addition to strengthening the top teams of advanced manufacturing system, aging society, and drug prevention, our research focus will also encourage cross-disciplinary collaboration among humanity, social science, and science, and engineering. We will implement the notion that humanity, social science and technology complement and supplement each other, and encourage researches that have practical values. Besides, we regard our postgraduate students as our future young colleagues by giving them advanced training and strengthen their independent research skills.
4. Connect with the World via International ExchangesThe world today is in an era of globalization. Knowledge and talents are flowing globally. Therefore, globalization is not an idea or action anymore, but the future trend of life. Based on this consideration, when we consider the topics of globalization in the future, we should not be limited to the level of international exchange or international flow of talents in universities, rather we should also think about how we can teach our students to be well-prepared in advance to lead a globalized lifestyle. As a result, our students will possess global competitiveness and mobility.
5. Outstanding Contribution to the SocietyUniversity has the mission to serve the society and to promote national development. In this era of globalization, we also have the responsibility to contribute to the welfare of mankind. The National Chung Cheng University, founded in Min-Hsiung, is not only an important local academic center, but also bears the responsibility to the assist local people in their pursuit of a happy life and to promote local cultural and economic prosperity. In the future, as far as social responsibility is concerned, we will be more actively engaged in projects with collaboration among the industry, government, and academia; strengthen the cooperation between the Southwest regional government or legal research entities; cooperate with the Southern Branch of the National Palace Museum; establish a regional university-industry alliance to promote technological upgrading and industrial restructuring , so we can be deeply rooted in the community and contribute to the village; cooperate with the Chiayi County and City governments and conduct projects for the city government, and strengthen the interactions with the local; promote and deepen the local cultural activities, so that the local community and the university may grow together and strive for our mutual welfare.
6. Energize Administrative OperationsThe main pillars of university are teaching and research. In order to create maximum benefits from limited resources, we should establish a strong and efficient administrative team. The team should have the determination and courage to work together so as to maintain the administrative operations flexibly and smoothly. In the future, we will embrace integrity with sincerity and honest consciousness to lead the school fearlessly so as to embark on the best route of development.
7. Leverage External Financial ResourcesAfter experiencing the financial crisis, the global economy has cut back, as a result of which higher education funding has decreased globally. Due to CCU’s shorter history, it is quite difficult to raise funds. However, at this moment of economic cut back, even for the world’s top universities like the University of Tokyo, its main source of funding is no more from government, tuitions, or corporate donations. Instead, the ratio of funding obtained from competitive teaching and research resources is rising gradually. This phenomenon can provide a reference to help the school overcome difficulties in financing.